Friday, March 24, 2017

JOHN CHUCKMAN COMMENT: SCRAPING THE BOTTOM OF THE JOURNALISTS' BARREL - "THE MOST FAILED FIRST 100 DAYS EVER" SAYS A HISTORIAN WHO SHOULD KNOW BETTER - USING PULP FOR NEWS



COMMENT POSTED TO AN ARTICLE BY CHARLOTTE ENGLAND IN THE INDEPENDENT


Donald Trump's presidency is the 'most failed first 100 days ever', says US historian
'I don’t know how it can get much worse,' says Douglas Brinkley

Douglas Brinkley is a silly man.

He wrote biographies of three presidents, so that fact qualifies him to make universal statements about American presidents?

I don't think so.

Indeed, he tells us something about himself with his own words, using the phrase, "the most failed first 100 days of any president.”

The "first hundred days" in fact is a modern construct, something the pop press uses, having no place or status in the serious study of American or any other history.

I don't even like defending Trump anymore because I do think he has failed in the couple of areas most profoundly important to me, but I still can't stand trashy, meaningless journalism such as this article.