Tuesday, June 19, 2018

JOHN CHUCKMAN COMMENT: COLUMN ON POLITICAL POPULISM DOING WELL OWING TO PEOPLE'S SENSE OF INSECURITY - YES BUT OTHER THINGS ARE AT WORK - OUR GOVERNMENTS LIE FULL TIME AND SEEM INCOMPETENT

John Chuckman


COMMENT POSTED TO AN ARTICLE BY LARRY ELLIOTT IN THE GUARDIAN



"It's easy to see why populists do well in an age of insecurity'



I think the author has used the wrong word.

There is of course insecurity, but I think other qualities dominate.

This is an age of government deception as I've never seen in my lifetime.

Almost nothing national governments tell us is true anymore.

I do think people get very tired of the idea that they are almost never being told the truth. They may not all understand in detail but a sense of the state of things manages to get through.

In addition, governments in Europe, from Britain to Germany, give any observer the impression almost of incompetence, and that I believe is more than a mere impression.

Is there a leader in Europe who seems able to deal with the problems facing his or her country, especially the major ones?

Not that I can see.

In most cases, they are unable even to admit what the basic problems are.

And, then, going back to the first point, they lie about it.