Sunday, October 04, 2015

JOHN CHUCKMAN COMMENT: AN EXAGGERATED NOTION OF WHAT HORROR IS - CLIMATE CHANGE YES BUT WE CAN'T BE SURE WE CAUSE IT - AND STOPPING IT DOUBTFUL


COMMENT POSTED TO AN ARTICLE IN THE INDEPENDENT


Horror?

I do think that quite a strained use of the word.

You want to see horror?

Look to Syria. Look to Palestine.

Climate change has been happening for 4.5 billion years. It is actually a part of our evolution.

Only 2,000 years ago, Tacitus referred to North Africa as the granary of Rome.

I don't in the least doubt that climate change is occurring, but I rather doubt we are responsible for it, and I doubt even more that we can seriously alter it.


And when you talk about a great and immensely complex thing like the earth, I think it a little foolish at this stage in our history to pretend that we really do understand it.