Monday, April 18, 2016

JOHN CHUCKMAN COMMENT: A NEWSPAPER COLUMNIST WHINING ABOUT THE SHARPNESS OF COMMENTS - THE HUMAN CONDITION


COMMENT POSTED TO AN ARTICLE BY BARBARA ELLEN IN THE GUARDIAN


Threats or abuse - the real thing, not exaggerated descriptions of criticism – of course have no place in comments.

However, this writer, Barbara Ellen, strikes me as overly sensitive about negative reader comments.

The fact is, if you put your words "out there," there's simply going to be a wide spectrum of reactions, a good deal of it not flattering to your ego.

That is the nature of the human condition.

I am a writer - hundreds of essays, reviews, and a book - and I well know this.


I genuinely think this writer needs to adjust to reality rather than complain in this fashion, which - I am indeed sorry to say - is actually quite off-putting.