Friday, April 12, 2019

JOHN CHUCKMAN COMMENT: AN ARTICLE ABOUT ERNEST HEMINGWAY'S BRIEF UNHAPPY DAYS IN TORONTO BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF MY OWN EARLY DAYS IN THE CITY

John Chuckman


COMMENT POSTED TO AN ARTICLE ON CBC NEWS



"He [Hemingway] came back to Toronto in 1923 and he almost immediately regretted it"



https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ernest-hemingway-toronto-apartment-1.5091106



I came to Toronto in 1965, and I do know what he meant, even all those years later.

Toronto even at that later date well earned its nicknames of "The Belfast of the North" and "Toronto the Good." I wasn't a hell-raiser like Hemingway, not at all, quite the opposite, but Toronto was emotionally hard.

 I came from Chicago, in those days the kind of blustery, cheerful place where strangers sitting near you on the bus might smile and start a conversion. Hemingway came from the affluent, nearby suburb of Oak Park, the same place where architect Frank Lloyd Wright lived.

 I'm sorry, but it's just true, Toronto was a very cold, unfriendly place even in 1965, where often people looked down when walking by you on the sidewalk. No one ever talked to you on a bus.

 I couldn't just up and leave as Hemingway did, being an early Vietnam war resister, so I stuck it out, but it was hard.

 Ultimately, I did well, and I'm very grateful Canada was good to me. I never forget that, but I think it worth commenting on Hemingway's reaction because I do intimately understand it. Toronto, of course, as so many places, certainly including Chicago, has greatly changed. In today’s Chicago, you risk being shot on a bus.

 It is interesting, the apartment building Hemingway chose. It much resembles a traditional Chicago apartment building, and I know there were very, very few like that in Toronto. I remember the immigration pamphlet describing Toronto as "a city of houses," and boy, were they right. It was very difficult to find what I considered a traditional, homey apartment. The choice was mainly either rooms in a house or an apartment in sterile new high-rises.

 You may be interested in my extensive collection of memorabilia with lots of pictures to compare:

https://chuckmantorontonostalgia.wordpress.com/

https://chuckmanchicagonostalgia.wordpress.com/

________________________

Response to another comment:

Vancouver has its nice spots (I've been there a number of times), but "world class," I just don't think so.

 Montreal very much is.

 Readers may enjoy this intimate look at what I regard as Canada's premier city:

https://chuckmanmontreal.wordpress.com/