Tuesday, November 19, 2019

JOHN CHUCKMAN COMMENT: POPE HAS DOUBTFUL NOTION ABOUT ADDING "ECOLOGICAL SINS" TO CHURCH TEACHING - BUT HE DOES TRY TO BE CREATIVE AND MODERNIZE THE CHURCH - AND AT LEAST HE DOES NOT SERVE THE HELLISH DEMONS OF TRUMP

John Chuckman


COMMENT POSTED TO AN ARTICLE BY JUNNO AROCHO ESTEVES IN CHECKPOINT ASIA


‘Pope Francis Wants to add "ecological sin" to Church teachings’

“I must confess,” the pope said, departing from his prepared remarks, “that when I hear some speeches, some person in charge of order or the government, I am reminded of Hitler’s speeches in 1934 and 1936.”

I think we all know just who he means.

And I couldn't agree more.

While I don't agree with all of the Pope’s proposals on sin and ecology, I give him full marks for thinking creatively to serve worthy goals and to modernize a much out-of-date Church.

The Pope has a mixed past record, for sure, but which leader doesn't?

At least he doesn't serve the hellish demons served by Trump - oppression in the Middle East, killing in half a dozen lands, stealing the resources of others by gunpoint, support of bloody tyrants like those of Saudi Arabia and Egypt, prejudice and hatred of migrants and Muslims, systematic extrajudicial killing, and warlike sanctions hurting tens of millions of civilians.

And that alone is something to embrace.