Wednesday, April 23, 2008

REFLECTIONS ON HILLARY CLINTON'S PENNSYLVANIA VICTORY

POSTED RESPONSES TO A COLUMN IN THE TORONTO GLOBE AND MAIL

"Obama is all talk , no substance" Ridiculous comment.

There was substance in Hillary's ugly, almost obscene performance?

All the woman has demonstrated is that harsh name-calling works well in American politics.

But really, we already knew that. That is the way you get the kind of leaders who bring you Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, and Chile.

And this nasty piece of work gave us the promise of obliterating Iran on election morning. The day before she ran an obnoxious ad featuring Osama bin Laden.

America, you deserve what you get.
____________________________

"Gerry Dunnhaupt from Toronto, Canada writes: Bitter, racist, religious, gun-toting, unemployed Whites of Pennsylvania voted for Hillary -- what a surprise!"

The absolute truth.

Have you ever driven through rural Pennsylvania?

I did several times, and it can be a frightening place.

I recall a group of four or five camoulflage-suited goons standing around, guffawing, in the lot of an Esso I pulled into one evening. I could see, as I pulled up to the pumps, their guns sticking up in the back of a pick-up truck.

I could tell something unusual was going on, but I didn't want to stare. Raised in a rough part of the U.S. myself, I knew you don't look too closely around these types without inviting, "What ya lookin' at?" or "Ya starin' at me?"

As I filled my tank, I realized what they were doing.

They were kicking a live animal - something large, perhaps a groundhog - fiercely back and forth like a football on the pavement, all to great laughs and yells of things like, "Hey, that there's cruel!" I could hear its body skidding on the pavement.

I was too intimidated to speak, although I spoke to the attendant who virtually ignored me, and there were at least four of them, and there were the guns.

I have other Pennsylvania stories, but that one captures exactly what Hillary appealed to.

Good God.