Wednesday, August 22, 2018

JOHN CHUCKMAN COMMENT: VIENNA CHOSEN AS "MOST LIVABLE CITY IN THE WORLD" - JUST A FEW BRIEF MEMORIES OF MY WEEK THERE LONG AGO - A DELIGHTFUL PLACE

John Chuckman


COMMENT POSTED TO AN ARTICLE IN THE INDEPENDENT



“I used to live in Vienna and I’m not surprised it’s been voted the most liveable city in the world’



I spent a week in Vienna about fifty years ago.

And I've not forgotten the enchantment.

It just had the special feeling of comfortable well-used beautiful old furniture.

I especially recall Einspänner Coffees in the park, eating the most delicious schnitzel I've ever eaten outside in a platz under evening lights, the cafe gardens, the sense of the presence of Mozart and Beethoven, the wine stube, and just a kind of mellowness and humanity.

I assume it has done nothing but grow better.